I think it's because spring truly represents new life coming from that which was "dead." Obviously the power of Christ can only bring what is truly dead back to life, but I think nature allows us a glimpse into that power. For instance, last fall I planted pansies in my front flower bed. This February when it got down in the single digits, I thought they were lost forever. They were completely crippled and shriveled up. But once the sun started shining again and the temperature stayed consistently warm, suddenly I had fresh blooms and the front of my house looked alive again. It was an amazing thing to watch.
When Jesus was killed, He did not just appear dead. He was, in the great words of the munchkin coroner on the Wizard of Oz, really, most sincerely dead. I recently read a book that made me think about for the first time that Christ experienced hell on my behalf. He actually went there in my place. I've always thought about his suffering on the cross, but never about his suffering after death. He went to hell for me. And, praise God, He fought death and won the victory. He has defeated death. He has defeated the powers of Hell. I am forgiven because He was forsaken. I'm accepted because He was condemned. I'm alive and well, His spirit lives within me, because He died and rose again.
Thank you, Jesus. You are my king, now and forever. Happy Easter everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment