Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Random Thoughts:

I just heard Charlie Gibson discussing the fires with Michael Chertoff, the Director of Homeland Security. He said, "I bet the one thing going through your head over and over is 'Not another Katrina! Not another Katrina!'" Mr. Chertoff said, "Actually, what's going through my head is the overwhelming destruction that I've been a witness to all day." After a few more questions, Charlie was thanking him for his time and he said, "Nobody likes to see the government struggle." Really? I've heard some pretty giddy reporters dish on "struggling government" more times than I can count. Or does it just depend on which government we're talking about? I just thought it was a bizarre comment, and it gave me something to think about.

My children and I were almost in that wreck today on I-65. I had just gotten on the interstate at Cool Springs and it happened right beside me. I saw the car spinning around and watched a car crash right into the side of it. Everyone in my lane and the lane next to me shifted over to the right to avoid it. Had he spun in a different direction or ended up more in my lane, I would have been the one slamming into him, and there would have been absolutely nothing I could have done about it. I was shaking for an hour. Later I heard on the news that the interstate was shut down and it was a 10-car pile-up. But hearing that someone died in the crash completely stopped me in my tracks. Just a reminder that we aren't promised tomorrow. Hug your loved ones tight.

My children are delighting me and driving me crazy all at the same time. In the week that we've been homeschooling, they've memorized Psalm 1 (to music, of course), and Bailey has demonstrated that she knows a lot more than I think she does. Her reading has made some great strides. But she struggles terribly with the, this and that. It frustrates me to no end when she can read it in one sentence, and completely stall on it in the next. I'm not sure how to get this to stick in her head. But I'm loving the chance to try. They started swimming with a homeschool swim team at the rec center, and that's a lot of fun. The water's a little cold for them, but they think it's pretty cool to be able to swim in the off season. Bradley started piano lessons this morning. I love that he'll be able to practice as part of his school day.

Does anyone else wonder how many times we'll be required to watch Marie Osmond faint before this story goes away? I was really hoping she'd get voted off (does that make me evil?) but they let go of the bazillionaire instead. Marie apparently has some seriously devoted fans out there. That and a really big family.

Christmas is nine weeks from today.

I did a survey where you put in how you feel about political issues and then they match you up with the candidate you most closely identify with. I came up with Duncan Hunter. Yeah... who is that? But my next most closest candidate is Fred Thompson, which makes me feel better about the bumper sticker on the back of my van.

That's all for now. Tonight I'm thankful that I can go upstairs and get in bed with my husband down the hall from my three adorable babies (they're always adorable when they are asleep, aren't they?) I can't imagine going to bed in a stadium wondering if my house is still standing. But it's a reminder that most of what we cling to for security is vapor. It can be gone in an instant. It's the love we have for each other and our God that lasts. Cultivate it. Cherish it. Who knows what tomorrow holds?

1 comment:

Jane Anne said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts today. I am glad you were kept safe on the road. That combined with the coverage of the fires must make you focus on what you are thankful for (especially sleeping babies!). Yikes-- is it really only 9 weeks to Christmas!?!
Thanks for your words LA.