I think I'm being told to withdraw from this election. I know most of you were unaware that I was running, but nevertheless, hear me out. This post is something I've been supposed to write since Wednesday, and I've just been putting it off and never finding the time to sit down and blog. But God's not letting me off the hook with this one.
If you've ever wondered how God speaks to his children, I think there are many ways. Sometimes it's through His word. Sometimes it's through the beauty of His creation. Sometimes it's through a powerful sermon. Sometimes it's a still, small voice spoken into the very essence of your soul. For me, this week, it was through three incredibly powerful testimonies.
It began on Tuesday night, when a dear sister in Christ visited my Bible study. I'd asked her to come and share her story with us after we had spent much of a previous week talking about her and wondering what is different about her, why she so beautifully lives out her walk with God with grace and an amazing ability to point everyone around her to him. What she said was so simple that it surprised me. She hears Him leading her to do something and she obeys. That's it. She seeks a life of complete servanthood towards her Adonai. It's an amazing thing to watch because it is so unique. She inspires me tremendously.
On Wednesday night, we had a visit from a guy named Monty who is a couple of years older than me and lives at the Nashville Rescue Mission. He shared with us at choir practice how just a little over a year ago his life was a wreck. He was a homeless addict, wandering from city to city supporting his habit. Because of the ministry of the NRM, he gave his life to Christ and his life has turned around 180 degrees. He said, "How can you not serve a God this good?" He experienced the radical transforming power that is available to each and every one of us, and his mission in life now is to share that message with everyone he encounters. It reminds me so much of the lame man Jesus healed who told everyone what Jesus had done for him. We all have that story. We were all lost; through Jesus we have been found. How can we not serve him with all of our hearts?
Thursday afternoon I had the opportunity to attend a luncheon with a couple that is currently serving as missionaries in India. Hearing them speak of that place that God so opened my heart to just seemed to unzip this place that I had sort of pushed back in the corner over the past several months. Seeing their raw emotion for a people they are still so in love with after several years of serving there made my heart cry out as if I had rediscovered a long lost friend. It also reminded me that there is real kingdom work to be done, and I am called to do that. Whether that is here in my town or halfway around the world, there are people who need Jesus to heal their souls. How will they know unless we tell them?
So what does that have to do with the election? Well, you may have noticed that over the past couple of months I've been slowly getting sucked back into the political abyss. I'm like a recovering addict who thought just one drink wouldn't hurt, and suddenly I'm listening to six-eight hours of talk radio a day and dreaming about polls and debates.
What I heard the Lord speak to me Wednesday night while Monty was sharing his story is that no matter who wins this election next month, my purpose will not be changed. The work that I'm to be about will remain the same. Yes, the world around me may begin to look different, but ultimately that is out of my control. As long as God gives me air to breathe each day, He has a plan for me. Politics offers such a huge distraction from what that really is, and it's time for me to refocus.
If we believe that the whole world is in His hands, and that's not just a simple Sunday school song, then we can trust that He will still be God no matter who is in the White House. The things of this world will pass away, so let's be willing to let go. God is all-sufficient. We don't need Jesus plus lower taxes. We don't have to have Jesus plus anything. All we need is right in front of us. Taste and see that He is good.
6 comments:
Wow- did I need to hear that! Thanks so much for sharing. Like you, I've been watching/listening to too much political analyses recently, and it's easy to get discouraged about what could happen in our country. But as you so eloquently stated, our God is the same no matter who is in the White House, so as long as we put our trust in Him, we can focus on our purpose in this life...to honor and serve Him in all we do! Thanks, again! Love you!
Amen! LA - I am blessed by your sincerity and openness. Thank you for sharing. God is good!
WOW. I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. Thanks for putting it into words. Can I link it?
As always I'm very grateful God has given you the ability to articulate so beautifully what he speaks to you. And grateful you use your platform for that purpose.
I hope, though, that you are still going to vote. Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, Jesus said, and the things that are God's to God.
The vote belongs to Caesar. Don't completely disengage. Our country needs thoughtful voters like you, just as we need Kingdom citizens who live as intentionally as you. (I was going to say "just as we need intentional livers like you," but then I would have called you a liver. Ew.
I am ABSOLUTELY going to vote. Thanks for showing me I needed to make that clarification... and for not calling me a liver. :)
Post a Comment