Where do I begin?
I can't do a play-by-play for you like I have done in the past on mission trips. Since I didn't have my laptop with me, I wasn't able to sit down and write out everything that happened every day, which was a lot of stuff. Quite honestly, at the end of each day I was completely spent. I was grateful to just take a shower, lather up in bug repellent, crawl under my mosquito net and crash.
Over the next several days I will attempt to at least give you glimpses of what Haiti was like for me. How I know you were covering us in prayer, for which I am so very grateful. How I do see hope for Haiti in the pouring out of God's spirit on His people, who can then extend that love to a heart-broken and weary nation. How my own heart has been ripped right out of my chest and scattered all over an orphan compound 1500 miles from here.
I've been crying off and on since I walked in my house last night. I cried as I took a shower, knowing that I could stay in there as long as I wanted to without fear of mosquitoes and with unlimited hot water. I cried when I lay down next to my husband in my warm comfortable bed thinking of the thousands of people sleeping outside on the ground because they either have no home or are too afraid to go back inside. I cried thinking of my three kids sleeping comfortably in their own rooms, thinking of the 25 bunk beds we had crammed into a two-room orphanage earlier in the day.
Beds that are a vast improvement over the urine-stained, bug-infested mattresses that the children used to sleep on, on the floor. Praise God for his vision of Sweet Sleep and for Jen Gash who obediently answered the call. She is an amazing woman and I am so privileged to call her my friend.
I cried when I got to hug each of my children, thinking of all the babies I left behind who can't hug their mommies anymore. I can't even write that without the tears starting to flow.
I cried watching Bryant eat his leftover scrambled eggs, sausage and waffle with strawberries and whipped cream for breakfast. That's what he asked for, and that's what he got. And I thought of this.
This is what the kids eat twice a day, and they are just grateful to have food in their bellies.
As I write, Bailey is upstairs taking a long hot bath. And I cry thinking of this.Fair warning. I'm kind of a mess right now. And that's okay. Don't pray for me to get over it. Obviously I need to get to a point where I'm not bursting into tears every few minutes, but that will come. I don't want to get better by forgetting. I want to get better by putting my pain and faith into action and making a difference one step at a time.
4 comments:
There are not words. Only tears. As I read your blog, I am reminded of the helplessness I feel. I want to do something - want to go help - but I have a nursing baby that I cannot leave for even a day. Then I get sad about that too (not my precious baby but how blessed she is in comparison to those sweet babies in Haiti who need their mama's too).
God bless those of you who were able to go and did.
Love you!
Thank you for sharing your heart, Leigh Ann. I understand your pain. I feel that way about the orphans I taught in Zambia. Why did God choose me to be so blessed? I don't get it. I'm still pondering that question.
This post was is transparent and real. Ah, I was talking to an acquaintance today who wants to move out of my rural town because it is so poor and her kids are being exposed to such needy, helpless (she meant- unwilling to help themselves) people. Our coversation- really just her thoughts - made me quite sad. I listened to her and wondered about her heart. I live in town where there are a lot of poor people. Even the poor of America have so much. Your post was powerful.
Do me a favor? Keep sharing about this. Share your thoughts, and please, keep sharing your emotions. I need it. I don't need to hide in my corner of the world.
Leigh Ann -
Thank you for your precious words. Keep sharing. I'll keep praying for you as God continues this amazing work in your life. I love you friend!
Post a Comment