Monday, December 18, 2006

I apologize for the long blogging hiatus. I realize that this has been hard for those millions of you who can't get through your day without checking in to see if I've had any words of wisdom, so I'll try not to be gone so long again. Thanks for your patience.

Last week was a week from hell. Every day, either I or one or more of my children were at the doctor for one ailment or another. Bryant had 3 shots, Bradley had spacers put in and I had a CT Scan. Those are the highlights.

As for my ringing ear, since my CT scan showed crystal clear sinus cavaties, the ENT is now going to test me for a couple of inner ear issues, one of them being Meniere's Disease. He reduced me to 2000 mg of sodium per day and told me to cut out caffeine and stress. I'm working on the caffeine.

So, what to blog about on my first day back? How about this:

What does a picture of Dennis Haysbert have to do with Senator Barack Obama, Democrat, Illinois? I think a lot. Because Dennis Haysbert is best known for his role on the hit show 24 as first Senator and then President David Palmer.
Now, I know that the ABC show Commander in Chief, starring Geena Davis, was a trial balloon to see how the country would react to a woman president, clearly in hopes of preparing us for a President Hillary Clinton. Well, for whatever reason, the show bombed. And things aren't looking too bright for Senator Clinton's presidential aspirations either.
However, the new rising star of the Democrat party is this man, Senator Barack Hussein Obama. He is extremely well-spoken, obviously intelligent, and just seemingly a pleasant guy to be around. Democrats are swooning over his potential, and I've heard more than one Republican show some interest in him as well.
My theory is that 24 did for the country unintentionally what Commander in Chief attempted but failed to do, get us ready for the first non-white male president. Look at the similarities: both are attractive, charismatic African-American family men with two kids, both senators (and senators normally do not become president - the last one was JFK in 1960. And for another wild hare - if TV were real, that would be quite the cooincidence seeing as how they were both assassinated by a sniper. But we all know TV isn't real, even if sometimes our friends have to remind us.)
Where was I? Oh, both democrats, both articulate and comfortable in their own skin. Interestingly, David Palmer was strong on terrorism, something democrats aren't real well known for. So will this be a subliminal message to the country that Obama would be hard on terrorists too?
What makes it even more interesting to me is that 24 is a show loved by conservatives. I'm sure that the hard line against terrorism isn't all that appealing to a liberal democrat. So if Obama does get the Democratic nod, it will be really interesting to see how many Republicans jump on the bandwagon.
Sadly, I feel that Mr. Obama is just another liberal. Consider the statement he made last week when he was asked if he thought some people wouldn't vote for him because of his race. His answer was yes, he thought that there surely were people who wouldn't vote for him because of his race. But then he added that those are probably the same people who wouldn't vote for him because of his politics. Translation: Republicans are racist, Liberal talking point #13.
Be prepared, because once Christmas is over, the 2008 race to the presidency will be underway. It's going to get ugly out there. While my stomach doesn't lurch and convulse at the thought of President Obama quite as much as it does at the sound of having to say President Clinton again (or would it be President Rodham?) I still shudder to think about the course of our country under a liberal commander in chief. Mr. Obama would be a formidable opponent for any candidate.
Let's pray that a strong conservative steps up to the plate. Soon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see much on the red ticket short list, unfortunately. Maybe that will change, but it doesn't look good. And I'm an optimist.

I guess we can at least hope that even in the face of a Democratic White House we have a leader who can think long term and not make policy based on whoever is waiting in the lobby of the Oval Office.

By the way, did I ever tell you how creative your Blog Title is? Completely impressed.

Anonymous said...

"He reduced me to 2000 mg of sodium per day and told me to cut out caffeine and stress. I'm working on the caffeine."

So you're saying cutting salt and stress a week and a half before Christmas was just a snap of the fingers? I'd really like to know how you managed that...oh, right. You're the completely over-organized one...

Anonymous said...

What do you mean TV isn't real?! :-) Isn't that also what Prison Break is doing - now the chief is a woman on that show, too. She's evil and has a few blonde hairs. Hmmm...

Regardless of whether Obama was a conservative or liberal, I don't think most folks in this country are ready for a woman or an African-American president. A lot of Dems out there still live in the South and are socially conservative.

Sadly, I see no great Rep. candidates either. If Rudy runs, he's probably a shoe-in.

How's that 2000 mg thing going for ya? You could always tell the doctor that with the ringing in your ear, you thought he said, "20,000"...

Ring Leader of Circus MaGuirk said...

I think Cheryl is right, Rudy seems like the only possibility to keep the country "red" yet I;m not so sure he's really the right one for the country. McCain isn't. Hillary DEFINATELY is not (though I hear "soccer moms" like me want nothing but her - per media reports of course), and Obama sounds too much like Osama to many and he is black. I think the guys in white hooded robes would get him before he made it into office. I'm not sure we are ready as a nation - but then why are other nations ready for women in the commander-in-chief roles and not us? Why not a black, asian or indian? I've prided myself in not being a racist, yet most of us in America must agree we see the president as a white male wearing a dark suit, white starched shirt and a red tie. Where have we failed and how do we change our paradigms?

leigh ann said...

Hmmm... I disagree about Rudy. I think he has way too many live bodies still in his closet, not to mention a few skeletons. I think the biggest reason we lost in '06 was the lack of conservatism, and Rudy is no conservative. But I do agree that he's the most likable.

My fear is that the ticket is McCain's to lose. I think he'll get the same "it's his turn" nod that Bob Dole got in '96, one of the stupidest decisions ever. Unless the Republicans get serious about winning and put somebody up there who conservatives can really identify with, I can seriously envision a President Obama. (Did I mention that would be a President Barack Hussein Obama? Can you even imagine??)

There's always the possiblity of a third party coming up again, which would mean one side would win by virtue of the other one's split - hello Bill Clinton.

How's this for a candidate - I hear Newt Gengrich is considering a run. I, for one, would be all over it. Talk about an intense race! :)

leigh ann said...

Oh - and I meant that I was working on caffeine because the sodium and stress are lost causes at this point. Cheryl - I LOVE the 20,000 milligram idea! I think it will fly.

Juan Portela said...

What are the other liberal talking points? Or was #13 an arbitrary comedic device? Is there really a list? I'm curious.

leigh ann said...

No real list, I don't think. Mainly like this:
#1 - Republicans suck.
#2 - Republicans are rich.
#3 - Republicans are white.
#4 - Republicans hate homeless people.
#5 - Republicans are mean.
#6 - Republicans hate the environment.
#7 - Republicans want to take away school lunch programs from our children.
#8 - Repulicans hate soccer.
#9 - Republicans want women to make less than men.
#10 - Republicans want to rule the world with our military might.
#11 - Republicans want people to die from AIDS, Parkinson's and other diseases because they are against stem cell research.
#12 - Republicans want to drill for oil anywhere and everywhere that endangered species live.
#13 - Republicans are racist.

Actually, I think it's probably higher than 13 now that I think about it. Even though we have elevated worthy African-Americans to such prominent posts as the Supreme Court and two Secretaries of State just to name a few, something the Democratic party hasn't gotten close to doing.

However, if there was an actual list, it would definitely be fun to read and compare to the daily news!