Technology is simply amazing.
As I write this, we are driving down the interstate about 40 miles from home. Jeff got some thingy for his computer that allows Internet access anywhere that you can get cell coverage, so not only can I entertain myself by checking my e-mail, but I can blog too! What a world.
Just thinking about the long car trips we took to Florida when I was little compared to what my kids experience is crazy. They think they have it so hard being cooped up in here for twelve hours, but what would my parents have given for a DVD player with headphones and miniature game systems to pass the hours away. As I recall, I read a lot on those trips, though, and that makes me feel a little bit guilty about how I'm letting them spend the day. Oh well. When I get home and get to a place where it's possible, I'll post a picture of Bryant wearing the headphones. It's quite hilarious!
As for the news, so much to say, so little time. I can't believe the Iowa Caucus is already here. I am filled with nervous excitement about this, just because it's finally happening. The table for the next four years of American government is being set over this next month. Isn't it thrilling? :) I can't remember being this excited about Iowa before, but primarily because 12 years ago I didn't care all that much, and eight years ago, W was pretty much a shoo-in once McCain started freaking everybody out. But this year, literally anything can happen. I don't think Iowa will hold as much water as it has in the past, simply because so much is at stake, and I don't think the country wants to leave the choice of our next president up to 150,000 or so voters in the Midwest.
As for this whole Huckabee showing it/not showing it business, what can I possibly say? I feel he made a lame attempt at manipulating the media, and did it very badly. Yes, he got his negative ad out. But does anyone really and truly think he didn't want it out? The guy is so Clintonesque, it blows my mind that he has so many people snowed. Let's remember, Bill talked up his Southern Baptist roots too, and I'm sure if he had thought he could get away with it, he would have claimed to have a degree in theology too (which, by the way, is something Huckabee doesn't have, even though he has claimed to on several occasions.) He is not conservative. He is a vocal evangelical Christian, period. How many of his supporters would have wanted Jerry Falwell in office? Is that really the criteria we are going on? If so, Ronald Reagan would have never been elected. He never went to church, but said he preferred to find God on horseback. I'm not advocating that, because I believe in corporate worship, but I don't think it disqualified him from being President of the United States.
What I'm really sincerely hoping is that Huckabee and Romney have gone back and forth so much with their negative ads that Iowans are sick of both of them and Fred is going to sneak in. That would just be ideal.
I'm also excited to see what happens on the Democrat side. I'm kind of torn on this one, because I think Hillary will be easier to beat than Obama, which makes me want her to get the nomination. She is just another John Kerry waiting to happen, tripping herself up in her own lies. (Please see the story of her harrowing trip to Bosnia in 1995, or was it '96, when she risked her life on an important mission for the White House. It is too funny.)
But on the other hand, if we lose the White House this year, I think I'd rather lose it to Obama than Hillary. As terrifying as it would be to have someone with so little experience and no apparent backbone dealing in our National Security, it couldn't be worse than her. So it's kind of a toss-up. Although calling Hillary's eight years in the White House a glorified tea party obviously took some guts. Watch your back, Barry. You are ticking her off now.
More to say, but the battery is getting low. Hope you are all enjoying your first week of 2008. Only ten months till election day!
Wednesday, January 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment