Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Today, I have withdrawn my candidacy for president of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort," the former Tennessee senator said in a brief statement.

I knew it was coming, but it still makes me sad. Can't you just hear the lone bugleist sounding out taps in the silhouette of dusk? Forgive me, but I'm in mourning.

I'm wondering what the socially-acceptable grief period is for a candidate. How long before I need to take my bumper sticker off the back of the van? I see people driving around in cars with Gore/Leiberman stickers on them and think they are either living in a serious state of denial, or the laziest folks on the planet. I don't want to be like that, but it just seems harsh to go out and strip it off the day he withdraws.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be replacing it with anything. I just don't feel strongly enough about any of the guys who are left. I'll be much more in the shoes of those folks four years ago driving around with the slash through the W sticker. How sad to be in this place.

Day is done, gone the sun...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sad too - my only hope is that he'll be chosen for VP to whomever is chosen at the convention. This is all very interesting!

Anonymous said...

V-P! V-P! V-P! Yeah, I don't think it will happen either. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the decision I'm going to be facing soon.

Seth said...

I think you need to take the bumper sticker off before the Convention.