Today was the hardest day for me so far. I felt a sense of oppression when I woke up that just kind of lingered around all morning. I barely slept at all last night, despite having taken an Ambien. I think my body has built up a tolerance to it now, so I guess tonight I'm on my own. For whatever reason, I didn't sleep and was really tired.
We got started a bit late this morning, but ended up seeing something like 175 people and giving away 100 pairs of glasses. We're running out of certain prescriptions, and the ones we do have in certain strengths are not attractive. There were times today when I really lost my patience, and that hasn't happened any day previously to this one. But I had one man who I spent five minutes trying to talk into trying on a certain strength just so I could see if they made him see clearly because he didn't like the plastic frames. I feel like the people I saw today kind of got shafted because I wasn't at my best.
Nelson had the idea on Tuesday that we should each take 30-minute shifts in the prayer tower to pray over what we are doing here and just find restoration for our own souls. Sometimes we go with one of the people from here, but today I needed to go by myself and just try to hear from God. After lunch I finally felt the cloud lift and received a fresh wind. So if any of you were up and praying late last night, thank you! It made a huge difference.
I can't believe that tomorrow is our last day of clinic. We've been told to expect about twice the number of people we've been seeing because people will know it's their last chance. Should be a long day, but I'm going to try and suck the life out of it.
This lady came through the line this afternoon, and it turns out she is a classical singer. She was a great sport and sang for us. Her voice was like an angel, and did much to lift our spirits.
Here's Singing David and my new friend Joseph. Joseph has been an interpreter for Jeff quite a bit this week, but I didn't really have a chance to get to know him until today. We got really up close and personal when he drove me on his scooter through the streets of Hyderabad. Don't tell my mom that I did that. (Seriously, Mom, he went really slow and it wasn't scary at all. In fact, now that I've done it I feel much better about seeing entire families of four piled up on one. :))
Jena has also been struggling with sinus issues and her voice has been in and out each day. It's hard talking so much outside every day in air that is pretty polluted. But she is hilarious and has such a beauty about her when she sees and experiences new things. Her eyes light up like a little girl and her smile is totally contagious.
Royce just makes me smile. What a huge heart and love for Jesus. I've enjoyed getting to know him so much. Last night he told us the story of meeting his wife and how they fell in love, and he was grinning from ear to ear. So Karole, if you read this, know you owe him a great big kiss when he gets home because he paints an extremely flattering picture. :)
Last night and tonight there were weddings in the church. We were invited to attend, but were just too exhausted after clinic all day, and really didn't want to come in our scrubs. Nelson and Jeremy went to one for a little while last night. We did get to see the bride today and she was absolutely beautiful. This is what the church looked like for her.
My prayer for tomorrow is that the people I encounter will get as much from me as the ones I saw Monday. They don't deserve less just because I am tired. They need as much Jesus as anyone else, and I'm going to do everything I can to let that light shine.
2 comments:
"With your help I can advance against a troop; with God I can scale a wall." 2 Samuel 22:30
"...I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Isaiah 46:4
He promises to carry and sustain us. I am claiming that for you right now.
Love to you, my friend.
Just sent this to your email, but thought I'd leave it here too:
Isaiah 42:6-8
“I, the Lord, have called you for a righteous purpose, and I will hold you by your hand. I will keep you, and I make you a covenant for the people and a light to the nations, in order to open blind eyes, to bring out prisoners from the dungeon, and those sitting in darkness from the prison house. I am Yahweh, that is My name; I will not give My glory to another, or My praise to idols.”
We love you, we miss you, and we are praying for all of you this day.
Post a Comment