Funny story about the scaffolding. When we arrived early yesterday morning there was no one out there. We had a couple of hours to sleep, which I didn't do, but we had completely closed the curtains for the attempt. When I realized it wasn't happening for me, I got up and took a shower and came back into the room to get dressed. Then Jeff went to shower and I decided we needed some light so I flung open the curtains. Unfortunately, I hadn't quite finished dressing and at this point there were three or four Indian guys balancing precariously from those bamboo poles. Fortunately they were turned the other direction or I might have shocked them into a serious tumble!
Our primary objective yesterday was to remain awake to try and get over jet lag. So after a brief team meeting and lunch, we headed out to do a little shopping. Traffic had picked up quite a bit from our early morning run, so Jeff got a more accurate view of what it's like. In India, the horn is used constantly, simply to alert everyone of your presence. Since everyone is honking, it seems somewhat counterproductive, but I guess if I learned how to drive here it would make sense to me. The oddest scene is seeing entire families of four or five all crammed onto one motorcycle. It's something that would seem so ridiculous anywhere else, but here just seems perfectly normal.
Afterwards we headed to a restaurant for some delectable Indian cuisine. Solomon's wife Reba ordered for us and everything she chose was delicious. Man, I love this food!
I'm not sure why, but he calls me the live wire of the group. Which is better, I guess, than being referred to as "the one who cries all the time," as I was yesterday. All I can say is I saw a lot of stuff last year that tore open my heart. I'm typically not a cryer. But I wouldn't want to be able to come into this country and view physical, emotional and spiritual poverty at this level without getting torn up over it. I think it should move me, but beyond simply an emotional outburst. It's a call to action, which is why I'm so glad to be back and have a chance to help people. I can't wait to get started!
After lunch at a Chinese restaurant, we came back to the hotel for our training session. Gene divided us all up into teams and gave us instructions on what we'll be doing. Tomorrow, I'll be working at the distribution table, finding the right glasses for each patient and adjusting them to fit their face. I'll be working with Sharon and Kellyn, who are both experienced with this so hopefully I won't have a chance to mess things up too badly. Kellyn talked me through the adjustment process today. My biggest fear is breaking the glasses, but she said it only takes one pair breaking for you to learn what is too far or too hard to push. I just hate to take even one pair of glasses away from someone that could use it.
It's 5:00 now, time to get dressed again for church. Tonight is the English service, so we'll be participating in the whole thing. I'm so ready to worship. God is so, so good. There is much to praise Him for today!
1 comment:
I love your eagerness. I cannot wait to hear about the clinic. How could those little girls possibly not remember you? What a beautiful feeling that must have been!
Love you,
Dana
Post a Comment