Tuesday, March 04, 2008


I apologize for getting behind on the blogging, but I think fatigue has really started to take over. I will post more once I get home about the days I haven't gotten to write about. I only bought an hour of Internet this morning, though, and after a nice long skype chat with my family, I've only got about ten minutes left for this post.

But for a brief synopsis, on Monday, we all headed back out for a long journey to the church dedication service of Baptist Church Ambaripet. Yes, there was another plaque waiting for our very own Pastor Kim Cox. What made this service so amazing was just the sheer number of people that were cramming themselves into this building to take part in this service. There were several pastors there from area churches who just wanted to come and be a part of it with us. There truly had to have been at least 150 people crammed into the floor of this building. It was another special time for us.

We were out on the road for most of the day because it was a long way out there. By the time we got back, it was time to go straight to the church for the youth service. This was one of my favorite times we've had here. These kids not only get together for a couple hours of praise and worship, drama, testimonies and a message, but several of them stay around afterwards to have what they call mass prayers up on the altar. Their level of commitment to their faith never ceases to amaze me. These kids are sold out, 100%, completely in it. I have learned so much from them.

Yesterday we were able to do some sight-seeing. We went to an old fort (I'm talking 16th century old). I loved every minute of it. The acoustics in this place were designed to carry sound for huge distances and it was just fascinating to see and experience. It was super hot, though, and we walked up about 400 steps to get to the top. We were all a little worried about Dick, but he hung in their like a champ.

Afterwards we went to a museum and saw some beautiful sculptures, paintings and other art. We were all pretty tired after that, and headed out to eat lunch.

The lunch was my favorite Indian food so far, but the place that we ate was a completely Muslim community. The guys were kind of rushing us to get us in the restaurant and up to the back room. Even if they hadn't told us it was dangerous for us to be there, I think I would have just known. There was a presence of darkness there that we truly could feel. It is a weird feeling to know people are looking at you with more than curiosity about your Americanism. We were glad to be on the road again.

Last night we spent some more time driving around the city. We stopped at a fresh juice stand and had some of the best orange juice I've ever experienced. At this point, I'm truly trying to just suck the life out of every minute we have left because I can feel the minutes racing by until we have to get on that plane tomorrow. I will miss this place so, so much.

I want to write more about the way I'm feeling, but it's going to have to wait because my minutes are running out. Pray for me Wednesday night your time, because that's when I'll be leading our time at the children's Sunday School retreat. Looking forward to it!

Love from India...

3 comments:

Mark Kelly Hall said...

I"ve really enjoyed keeping up with your activities via this blog. Great job! I'll keep you and the group in my prayers.

Mark

T-Dawg said...

Thank you so much for the detailed posts. It sounds like your journey has been amazing and that God is really at work in India and in the lives of the BBC team. Praying for safe travels home!

The Millsaps said...

I am praying safe and trouble free travels for you and the team. Can't wait to see you in person!
Rachel