
The day finally arrived for us to get started on our mission, and it was an awesome day. The eye clinic is being held on the church grounds. I think we saw over 150 people today, so we met our goal. Things were a little chaotic at times, but overall I think it went really well. I've been told it will probably just get crazier as the week goes on, especially at the end, but I think we're ready. Dr. Harman is a great leader and doing an awesome job of being all places at all times, which is not an easy task!

Before things began, I had my reunion with
Ramu. God bless this sweet little boy. I had the chance to love all over him, and this time I was able to get through it with joy instead of tears. The money that we collected for him will not be able to get him surgery because his eyes are beyond repair. But we are going to use the money to set his mom up in a shop of some kind so that she will be able to provide income for the family. Please continue to pray for her. She isn't well, and she has an older son that is sick, no husband and a blind child. Life must seem unbearably hard at times. But I know God will be faithful to supply all her needs. Thank you for being a part of his story.
Once clinic began we had several stages. Dick and Jena did the initial screenings and paperwork, including taking blood pressures.


Jeremy and Nelson determined if we were looking at someone who was near-sighted, far-sighted or neither.


Jeff and Shane worked the
focometer area, which gave a general idea of prescription.


Then they came to the eyeglass dispensing area, where Sharon,
Kellyn and I were busy trying to find the right strength and size for each patient. It was so fun getting to see faces light up when their vision suddenly came into focus. Such a blessing! I'm so grateful for this job, because I rarely had to tell someone there was nothing I could do for them, as many of the other team members had to do throughout the day. I also had the opportunity to pray with each patient that came through. This was my last patient of the day. I wish I had video of him shaking his head all around to make sure the glasses fit. He was a trip!

These are a few of the interpreters we worked with,
Rahm and Sonny. They were a complete God-send, because there's no way we could have done this work without them.

Towards the end of the day I got to work with
Amulya. She and I have become fast sisters. Such a beautiful girl, inside and out. I am blessed to have this chance to get to know her.

Tonight, five of us went back to church for the youth service. This was my favorite service last year, getting to worship with these young men and women that are so sold out for the Lord. Their devotion is contagious, and I wish I could meet with them every week.

After we arrived, I was asked if I would give the message. While initially shocked, I felt such a surge of peace and assurance that that was what God wanted me to do. I knew immediately
that He wanted me to share the story of Esther and Mordecai and how it related to Joel 2:12-17. (For more on that, see
here.) I am amazed that He would trust me enough to be His messenger, and completely humbled by that opportunity. I know it was a divine appointment, because there was no fear. I love my God, and I love being with people that love Him too. My prayer is it would always be less of me and more of Him.
And tomorrow it's more of this...

How lucky am I?
5 comments:
Tears fill my eyes that I can barely read the awe you've shared... I am so overwhelmed with joy for you words fail me. Only this.. I am praying..
I'm so glad day one went well and hope it will only get better. What beautiful children!!
For such a time is this, my sweet friend! I am so excited that you are there safe and that things are going well! I'm praying for you!!
I am so thankful for the time you are having on this trip. Thank you for letting us take part in your experiences. I am so super proud of you!!
Wow! I'm so glad you're sharing this on the blog. It's so neat hearing it so fresh in your mind and heart. It just makes me want to go on a mission trip right now!!! Be safe! We are praying!
J
Post a Comment